Here are the tools you need to buy when first starting out as a CNC or Manual Machinist.
Buying tools when you are first starting out as a Machinist can be a bit confusing. I'll cover the most important tools you'll need on day one of your new job. Keep in mind, every shop is different and may require you buy different tools, so asking your new employer is a great idea but here is my list of what you should be buying...at a minimum.
- 6" Calipers - Electronic or Dial
- 0-1 Micrometer - consider a Micrometer set that includes 0-1, 1-2, and 2-3
- Test Indicator - consider accessories for holding such as a mag base
- Tape Measure
- 6" Scale/Ruler - a nice inexpensive pocket tool you'll use everyday
- Edge Finder
- Ball Peen Hammer
- Dead Blow Hammer - or equivalent soft tool
- Wrench Set - both inch and metric up to 1"/25mm
- Allen Keys - both inch and metric up to 3/8"/10mm
- Screw Driver Set - consider a multi tool
- Tap Handles - at least to be able to handle 1/4"/6mm taps and smaller
- Calculator - scientific recommended
- Safety glasses
- A box to put all this in!
Few extra thoughts on tools...
Your tool collection will grow over the years, don't worry about buying every possible tool at once. The tools you want/need will evolve as your career progresses. And please keep this in mind...
NO SHOP WILL REQUIRE YOU TO BUY CUTTING TOOLS OR OTHER CONSUMABLE ITEMS.
To follow up with this video, I will be putting out a guide on buying the big ticket items, the micrometers/calipers/indicators. These can account for 75% of what you spend on your tools when first starting so making the right decision is very important.
Want to learn more about Mastercam? Check out;